Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bike Ride

I rode my bike to work on Bike to Work Day. In fact, I ride my bike to work every day except when it's raining in the morning (and also when it's below 45 degrees out). And it is awesome.

Some downsides are showing up to the office sweating all over yourself, and having to carry extra clothes because you just can't bike in long skirts or heels, but the upsides are so many more! Whether you normally drive or take public transportation, in case you were on the fence about biking to work, here are a few of the top reasons why you should do it!
  • Get your daily exercise and commute at the same time
  • Rush hour doesn't slow you down
  • You can ignore traffic lights whenever they inconvenience you
  • No driver's tans
  • Run on your own schedule, not the bus's
  • Eliminate all the time wasted walking to the bus stop and waiting for the bus
  • No parking costs
  • No car maintenance costs
  • The scenery
The following are a few of the sights I see on my ride back home from work.
 




I get to pass by beautiful flowing streams, through wooded glades, beside amazing wetland habitats, across quaint bridges, and even over a boardwalk!

To be fair, this is the longer of two routes between work and home. If I want to take the short way, I have to mostly travel suburban streets and a few harrowing intersections. The second, while longer, is just as fast thanks to two fewer street crossings--and it's exquisitely scenic and ends on a downhill slope instead of an uphill like the other one!

Even on the days when I'm completely worn out from the gym and can barely pedal up the hill to Baltimore Ave., I still appreciate the aesthetics of my bike ride home. In case you're curious, here it is!

0 comments: