Saturday, July 25, 2009

The depressed economy hits Valerie in unexpected ways

I feel pretty fortunate that I like to live simply, because it makes life in an economic recession pretty much the same as life any other time. I have a place to live, a way to get around, and enough money coming in to ensure that I eat regularly. That's enough for me, and I can't say I'm feeling the strain.

There is one thing, however, that I've noticed and I resent: sending mail has become entirely too much of a hassle. You know why? No, it has nothing to do with the cost of postage, though that is depressing emotionally as well as economically. It's that I actually have to write out my return address on everything I send.

It's a scandal! It's a outrage! What happened to the days when I got so many pre-printed return address labels from nonprofits that I didn't know what to do with them all? All I can conclude is that the charities are cutting back on their spending by cutting back on their free gifts as well. In a way, I'm relieved, because I don't have to feel quite as guilty when I throw away all their requests for money. But in a way, darn it, I just want to send mail the lazy way!

Oh, yeah. Here's an inspiring message that I doodled a few days ago instead of doing page layout like I was supposed to be doing. I think it's strangely pretty, and appropriate for today's post.

1 comments:

Geoffrey S. Eighinger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.