Thursday, March 3, 2016

A noise Annoys: An interesting homophone that doesn't quite make sense in context.


In keeping with the spirit of my last post, I'm going to have a positive attitude and talk about something that could annoy me, but doesn't! 


It always kind of puzzles me when a coworker stomps up to my office, frown imprinted on their face, and grumbles, "Could that sound be any more annoying?" I'll be thrown for a fraction of a second, thinking, "What sound?"

Until I hear it. It's usually some repetitive pounding noise. They are doing a lot of construction outside our building, and the building itself is usually falling apart in some way or another, so industrial noises are a common occurrence around my office. And apparently I'm very good at tuning them out, because I never notice them until someone else complains!

This is odd, because other kinds of noises can easily drive me bonkers. Any amount of speech, even low or foreign enough that I can't make out the words, distracts me to no end. I can't sleep when the TV is on, no matter how tired I am, and there have been entire mornings I've been unable to work because of a conversation going on in a nearby office. But as long as the sound is not too deafening and relatively meaningless, it doesn't bother me at all.

I don't really have any more to say on this subject. I'm not trying to boast, and I certainly don't have any advice for those who do find these sounds annoying. (Maybe this is why I rarely write about positive topics: they just kind of peter out anticlimactically.) I guess it's just nice to realize that (since I sometimes worry that my innate irritability is downright pathological), there are still a few things about which I can be easygoing!

0 comments: