Saturday, May 24, 2014

Mother's Day cookie from Whole Foods


I do indeed love my mother, and since I couldn't be with her this Mother's Day, I figured the next best thing would be to honor her remotely by eating a Mother's Day cookie.

Sadly, this Mother's Day cookie wasn't quite as perfect as the mother it stood in for.

The pink icing was a weird tough sheet with a quite chewy texture that I can't say I've ever encountered elsewhere. It was unique, and I liked it, but it didn't seem to have any discernible flavor.

By contrast, the lettering was still gooey and soft 3 days after purchase. Since I first tucked into this cookie when I had a cold (not the best circumstances to adequately judge food,) I saved part of it to eat later when I could review it more fairly. And 13 days after purchase, the icing was still soft. It had the texture of mayonnaise, and the flavor of...sweet nothing? Well, at least I can be thankful it was not mayonnaise. But there was far too much of it to get away with being so tasteless.

Especially for someone who likes to break off little pieces of cookie one at a time, this was a messy cookie to eat. The gooey lettering got all over my hands, and the pink sheet did not stay attached to the cookie whenever I broke it, typically falling back onto the cookie and its mess of frostingaise.

The cookie itself walked the border between crunchy and chewy. It was fine, as far as sugar cookie bases go, but much like the frosting, it seemed to have no flavor except a tiny hint of butteriness.

All in all, I feel this cookie sends the message, "Mom, you're sweet, but kind of bland."

The Bottom Line:
Taste:2 out of 5 stars
Texture:2 out of 5 stars
Price:2 out of 5 stars (2.28¢ per gram)

0 comments: