Sunday, April 1, 2012

Two mystery cookies from the Denver Convention Center

Having eaten many pleasant giant chocolate chip cookies, I found this mysterious cookie from an unknown caterer to be an utter disappointment.

While the outside edges bore a crumbly softness that spoke of a chewy delicious center to come, the middle of this cookie was, in fact, pretty much a Keebler cookie on steroids—huge, but crunchy and dry. The predominant flavor in this cookie was sugar, which, while a delight to my tastebuds, left my olfactory receptors somewhat unfulfilled. Since the cookie came as part of my conference admission, I can't really speak to its cost-to-yumminess ratio, but I'm just glad I never tried to rely on it as my end-of-the-day treat.

Taste: 3 stars
Texture: 1 star

Its companion cookie, which was acquired at the same venue on a separate day, did not perform much better. While it had the potential to be a massive fudgy delight, it also seemed too dry for my liking. It passed the crumble test* (although with a little more effort than may be desired), which the chocolate chip cookie failed, but its chewiness came on the dry side - almost tough - and eating it was a mouth exercise I'd just as soon not repeat.

Taste: 3 stars
Texture: 3 stars

*The crumble test was introduced as "the golden standard" in my second Giant Cookie Review as follows: "If you can break off a piece with your hand, without much effort and without propelling cookie crumbs all about the room, then you have a perfect texture."

0 comments: