Monday, January 7, 2019

The Notorious Biker

There's one thing about biking to work every day in rainbow hair, huge blue earmuffs, and bright green leggings—people notice you.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me, "Was that you I saw biking down Rhode Island Avenue this morning?" I would not be rich, but I could at least buy myself a new inner tube or two.

I've had people I know (and people I don't) honk at me at just about every point on my route. I've had absolute strangers flag me down mid-ride to let me know they see me every day and to ask for a date.

My biking habits become conversation fodder for anyone from perfect strangers to casually acquainted coworkers...which is actually a boon for an introvert who struggles with small talk. It's so much easier when we can just talk about me! We talk about how long the ride takes, where I live, how great a workout it is, what weather I won't bike in, and where all the good trails can be found.

It's always pretty weird when I meet someone new and they immediately recognize me from riding around the neighborhood all the time. I feel at a slight disadvantage when people know me before I know them, but on the other hand, it's also a little like being a minor celebrity!

I never wanted a life in the spotlight, but if I have to be notorious for something, I couldn't ask for it to be a better thing than my eco-friendly, uber-healthy commuting method.

0 comments: