Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Confessions of a Smell Collector

I have a confession to make. I am a hoarder of good smells.

You know those jarred candles that people buy for other people as gifts? I have one of those. I received it around 7 years ago. I burn it, once in a blue moon, when I happen to notice it sitting on my shelf, but in all those seven years, I've been careful not to burn it too far too fast. I have collected scented candles from every imaginable source. All of them reside in a drawer in my living room, which I occasionally open up to gaze at them before closing it securely once again.
 
Dahlia Secret Garden Indonesian air freshener bag
My boyfriend's mother seems to be fond of good smells. She used to regale us with scented lotions and shower gels, before graduating to Glade Plug-ins, and finally these little bags of air freshener that she gets in Indonesia. I still have a tube of body lotion that she must have given us the first year we were together. I love it, and I use it, but clearly I use it sparingly! The other tube she gave us that same year still hasn't even been opened!

The Glade Plug-ins were a lifesaver when I moved into a stinky apartment in 2015. But when I moved out again, all but one plug, and all of the scent vials, disappeared. I bought some half-off no-name replacements at a dollar store a year ago, but they now feel like such a precious commodity that I have never plugged one in!

The Indonesian air freshener? It has sat, helpfully, unopened on top of my dresser for the past 5 or 6 months! I'd like to use it, but it's the only one I have, and once it's opened and its scent depleted, it can never be restored!
 
When I was about 12 years old, my mother gifted me an aromatherapy kit called "Making Scents," which started me on a path of lifetime love for essential oils. I still have the notebook, hand-decorated by Yours Truly, containing all the instruction cards that came with the kit. I also have a few of the original, miniscule (5/8 a fluid dram, if that means anything to you!) vials of essential oil. Yes, in 23 years I still have not used 5/8 of a fluid dram, but I have to conserve them, because once they're gone, well, I can't even bear to think about it!

Several years ago, my then-boyfriend gave me a hand-me-down. It was an Americana-themed Scentsy wax burner and 3 or 4 packets of Scentsy wax. I don't know if you know (I didn't at the time), but a Scentsy is a totally cool little gadget that uses a light bulb to melt a puddle of scented wax in a dish above it. Because the wax doesn't actually burn off, it can be used over and over again and never run out! It sounds like a smell-hoarder's dream, right!? Unfortunately, my Scentsy fell on the floor and perished before I'd been able to use it even a handful of times, so for months I had all this Scentsy wax I was loath to part with. Fortunately, I saved the light bulb and cord, and before long, I had acquired a smaller potpourri burner from Freecycle that just managed to contain the light bulb and enable my wax-melting once again. Confident that I'd be able to use my new pseudo-Scentsy on the regular, I then proceeded to invest in a sizable collection of scented wax, in fits and starts over the past two years. But did I ever melt the wax? Not much. I put the burner in the basement as a deodorizing tool for my Airbnb guests last summer, and I haven't seen it since.

As you have probably ascertained, my smell-hoarding tendencies are a force to be reckoned with. Once I acquire something with a pleasant scent, I won't let it go without a fight! I could be proud of my unwavering tenacity, but let's be real—it's a little excessive. A whole drawer full of barely touched essential oils and unopened Scentsy packets, six scented candles in various degrees of un-use, some plumeria incense I bought in September but want to save for summer, an adorable garden-eel car freshener I bought in Japan and have now refused to open for the past year and a few months? What's the point of having all these scents around if I never actually smell them? This has to stop!

So I did something about it. I had eight unused Scentsy packets and nothing to melt them in. A lesser hoarder would throw those all away, but I am both hoardy and crafty! I went to the thrift store and found a bag of electric candles for $2. I disassembled one candle, replaced the bulb with a 40-watt globe, stuffed the whole shebang into a drinking glass, and then topped the contraption with a plate full of lavender wax. Soon I had a brand new, uber-ugly Scentsy burner ready for business! 
 
 
Since the scented wax lasts well nigh forever, I'll likely never actually deplete my supply, but at least it won't be gathering dust any more! And I can rest assured that if my new ghetto-Scentsy bites the dust, I have four more electric candles I can use to rebuild it.

Because I feel so confident that I'm in very little immediate danger of running out of good smells, I have made a promise to myself. When my banana-nut-bread candle starts to run low, I'll suppress my instincts to lid it and shelve it and pretend that it's a completely scentless piece of decor. Instead, I'll bravely soldier on, and keep the candle burning it until it burns out!


0 comments: