Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Black and White Cookie from Zaro

 
In all the years I've been eating Giant Cookies, I've seen a lot of "black and white" cookies. But never ever have I felt interested enough in them to buy one.

All that changed this past weekend when, while buying lunch at Zaro in New York's Grand Central Station, I chose it. Out of all the giant cookies in the display case – and there were several varieties – black and white won the day. Partly it was because I'd never tried one. Partly it was because they were sitting out where I could pick them up, and I was able to confirm that they were soft and hefty—two of the Giant Cookie traits I like the most.

I ate the first portion of it that very night and found it to be just as soft as my fingers had already experienced. If I'd had my choice, it would have been a little more substantial and a little less cakey, but it was almost perfect, texture-wise. The frosting on top was also soft, with just a thin glaze keeping it from being too gooey. As one might guess, the black portion was chocolate flavored while the white portion was vanilla. I couldn't decide which one I liked better, because the former was just too chocolatey, and the latter was just too bland. Eventually I concluded that black and white cookies are not the ideal cookie for me. Even the cookie beneath the frosting seemed a little on the bland side.

I wasn't wholly impressed, but, in the right mood, I might buy this cookie again.

The bottom line:
Taste: 3 stars
Texture: 4 stars

Price: The receipt wasn't itemized!

0 comments: