Sunday, March 4, 2018

Bye Bye, Bubalou


My Worst Dog / Best Dog, Bubalou, succumbed to his heart condition a week ago. His death was not unexpected, yet I've had more trouble coping with it than I have with the deaths of any of my multitudinous  childhood pets. While we knew from the moment we met him that we wouldn't have long to know him, when his moment came, it was quite sudden and far from the peaceful end we would have wished for him. In attempting to come to terms with my seemingly bottomless sorrow, I wrote a very long story of how he died and all the ways I failed him at the end.

But guilt would be wasted on Bubalou, as forgiveness was all he knew. If you stepped on his paw, he would lick your hand. And probably start jumping up and down on his hind legs, already amped for his next adventure! Happiness was more his style, so I'm tossing my self-flagellating tale to the curb and instead crafting a memorial that I hope does justice to the joyful dog I loved.

In the grand tradition of myself, I have written a poem for my dear departed pet.

A puff of fur, a winning smile,
A face without a trace of guile,
A happy greeting at the door,
A tummy rub upon the floor.
These are our memories of you,
Our loving dog, our Bubalou

Your squeaky toys and Denta-sticks,
Your sneak attacks of friendly licks,
Your eagerness for any walk
To distant lands or 'round the block!
These are our memories of you,
Enthusiastic Bubalou

Mistakes, you made them every day,
But mad at you we couldn't stay.
You'd wiggle up with smiling face,
To show your heart was in the right place.
These are our memories of you,
Our dumb but charming Bubalou

You loved to spend your time outside,
Escape and wander far and wide.
It scared us, your Houdini act,
We'd fret, but always got you back.
These are our memories of you,
Adventure-loving Bubalou

As your last day on earth arrived,
You still were full of love for life.
But all good things must meet their end
And yours had come, our happy friend.
When once you strayed, we brought you home,
But now at last you're free to roam.
Though you have passed beyond our plane,
We know we'll see your smile again!
Til then, we've memories of you,
You're always with us, Bubalou.


1 comments:

Grandma said...

The top picture is my favorite Bubalou pic! Looks like a professional portrait!