Sunday, November 22, 2015

2 Wawa giant cookies

Wawa Rainbow Cookie

These cookies don't earn any points for durability. I've actually purchased 2 (both times forgetting to take a picture), and they fall apart before I even get them home.

This could mean, at least, that they don't have the constitution of a brick, which can only be good, but it also could mean that they are too dry. But why speculate when you can just eat one and find out?

This cookie was fluffy and airy and pleasantly soft in the middle, graduating to crispy and still airy (thus fragile) around the edges. It wasn't my favorite texture, being rather too inclined to crumble, but not the worst either.

Where this cookie really failed was in the taste department. It had that signature flavor of a mass-produced cheap cookie—a little too much sweet and not enough substance. The chocolate candies did nothing to add to it, since they were also a little too sweet. This is one case where bittersweet chocolate would have really made a difference... but of course in a cookie clearly made to appeal to children, that's a lost cause.

While you can't go wrong with the price (whaaaat? 99 cents? That's just a little over 1¢ per gram, or, very affordable!), cookie connoisseurs out there will probably want to pass this one up.

The Bottom Line

Taste: 1 out of 5 stars
Texture: 2 out of 5 stars
Price: 5 out of 5 stars

Wawa Chocolate Chip Cookie


After my somewhat disappointing encounter with the rainbow cookie, I was ready to swear off Wawa cookies for life. But then, at a late night trip to the gas station to pick up a sandwich, I saw the appetizing-looking chocolate chip cookie and decided to give it a try. 

At the same price of 99¢ for 96g, the chocolate chunk cookie is a steal as far as Giant Cookies go...and, I discovered much to my relief, a real treat to eat!

Unlike its candy-cookie brother, the outside edge was not a brittle crumb factory, and in fact, the cookie was chewy and tasty right clear through! If I had one complaint, it would be that the chocolate chunks were a little too gooey at room temperature, but overall, the texture was perfect. I even detected some nice crunchy granules of sugar in the mix!

The flavor as well was everything you could ask for in a chocolate chip cookie—sweet, salty, chocolatey all in one. I think I've found another winner, and I'll let my friendly neighborhood Wawa be my new solution when a cookie craving comes to call.

The Bottom Line

Taste: 5 out of 5 stars
Texture: 5 out of 5 stars
Price: 5 out of 5 stars

0 comments: