Thursday, February 23, 2012

Starbucks Chocolate Chunk Cookies


There was once a time when I was a Starbucks cookie junkie. Their chocolate chunk cookies were second only to the cookies I could get at Cosi, and since they were several cents cheaper, they were often my first choice to buy.

And then things changed. Starbucks changed their recipe and raised their price, and I started working from home rather than a block from their shop, and I stopped buying their cookies.

But for old times' sake, let me review these classic confections.

They measure 11 centimeters in diameter, putting them squarely in the realm of giant cookies, and an informal weighing on my postal scale puts one at 90 grams. They cost 2.07$ each (or 2.3¢ a gram), including tax, so they are not what I'd call cheap.

But are they worth the price?

Well, they are sweet, and the big chunks of chocolate definitely have their appeal. They were deliciously soft around the center; however - and it may just be the batch I tested - they were a little overcooked around the edges, giving them an unappealing chewy/crunchy texture and unpleasant aftertaste.

All in all, they're better than most retail-packaged cookies at your nearest supermarket, but I wouldn't go any farther than my nearest supermarket to procure them.

The bottom line:
Taste: 3 stars
Texture: 3 stars
Price: 3 stars

0 comments: