Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 1

My first day at work was much like my first day at the last and only other desk job I ever started. It was spent "setting up:" waiting for my network ID to be established, waiting for my voicemail password to be reset, waiting for my email address to become active, waiting for my email inbox to become active, and cleaning the office. Lots of cleaning the office.

I am pleased to report that I have a spacious office – complete with its own thermostat (hooray! No freezing to death at work!) – all to myself. I only feel slightly like a pariah for having my office on the outside of the cluster where everyone else's offices are. On the plus side, this means I can watch everybody coming and going, which will make it much less likely for me to be completely out of the loop, which is my default state.

This office, however, is not exactly the paragon of offices, as the carpet is stained, and it apparently had a bug problem, judging from the three baits and multitudinous insect carcasses littering the windowsill. It also looked like it had been unoccupied for quite a while, judging from the dust and spiderwebs that also graced the window. Fortunately, I had come equipped with a rag, and I found 409 in the filing cabinet, so I engaged in a thorough cleaning and organizing session that got me through most of the day.

The rest of the day was spent meeting other people in the building (I met 2 Elizabeths and a Tim before I lost track), familiarizing myself with the website and the website redesign plan, and repeatedly testing my email account (it still wasn't working by the time I left).

Tomorrow my goal is to take a later bus and see if I still arrive on time, and to actually start doing work that's relevant to my job description.

0 comments: