Thursday, July 21, 2011

Luscious Lemon Poppyseed Cookies

Let me tell you about my friend, the Alternative Baking Company.

They make delicious giant cookies which are individually packed for retail. This is great, because you can buy them any time, save them for days or weeks, and be confident they'll still taste fresh when you eat them. That's what makes Alternative Baking Company (ABC for short) cookies my choice for stockpiling. I always keep one or two of them lying around for when I get the giant cookie munchies. Even better, they are vegan. Best of all, they are delicious!


Today, I'm going to review one of my favorite ABC flavors, Luscious Lemon Poppyseed. This particular variety has a number of things going for it:
  1. It is relatively low and flat, so it looks bigger (which makes it more appealing to my artist's – or is it just "glutton's?" – eyes.)
  2. It is soft and chewy.
  3. It has poppy seeds, which add interest to the soft and chewy texture.
  4. It tastes like lemon!
Lemon is a great flavor! Cookie flavors tend toward the rich, such as chocolate or peanut butter, so a lemon-flavored cookie, while not exactly rare, is a step off the beaten path. While I adore these particular lemon cookies with a good portion of my heart, I think a little stronger flavor would add to their lusciousness a bit. And then if ABC came out with a soft chewy key lime cookie, this glutton would be in hog heaven!

You can find ABC cookies in natural food stores for around 2$ apiece. And considering that those 2 dollars buys you about 120 grams of cookie, I'd say they're a pretty good deal!

The bottom line:
Taste: 4 stars
Texture: 4 stars
Price: 4 stars

0 comments: