Friday, March 18, 2011

The Soundtrack to My Life: The B side

In my previous post, I shared the first 8 songs that I would put on a soundtrack to my life. In this post, I finish what I started.
  1. Fool's Garden - Lemon Tree
    When this song came out in the mid-90's, it was nothing but a fun-sounding pop song with lyrics that I ignored. That's what I usually do with lyrics. Little did I know, though, that a dozen years later, it would become the theme song to my existence! Full of loneliness and despair and still having a fun sound, Lemon Tree is a favorite of mine when I want to take an ironic view of my pitiful existence.
  2. Blu Cantrell - Hit Em Up Style
    Following 1996, there was a gaping void in the music world, where nothing interesting dared tread. These were my high school years, when Britney Spears reigned supreme and all the girls were obsessed with Dave Matthews Band. I did not join in, choosing instead to immerse myself in  music from an era before I was born. Upon graduation, however, all that changed! Hit 'Em Up Style has that old-school jazz style that was just what I needed to wean me gently away from classic Broadway soundtracks and back into the world of pop music. Whenever I hear this song, I will always be brought back to a hot summer day a few days before I would leave home for college, sitting in the Kohl's parking lot in my Neon (just steaming), hearing this song and knowing my life was about to change forever!
  3. Welle:Erdball - Deine Augen
    And just how did my life change forever when I entered university? Well...I was introduced to file sharing! I had never been big into buying music, but when one of my roommates downloaded some peer-to-peer software and I discovered all the wonderful things you could find - for free! - by the track instead of by the big bloated boring album! - I knew I had discovered something amazing. When I was just getting started (before I became the borderline music junkie I am today), one of the first songs I downloaded was this gem by the German band Welle:Erdball. I was actually looking for another song entirely, but I'm glad I ran across Deine Augen by mistake, because it remains one of my favorites. You can see from the imagery in the video that Welle:Erdball is known for composing their music on a Commodore 64. And thus, though I didn't know it then, they were my first introduction to chiptune music, which has become one of my favorite genres.
  4. The Doctor Who Theme Song
    Any of them! All of them! Every remix you can imagine! Doctor Who was my favorite television show when I was in second grade and most of the surrounding years (because I couldn't pick something normal like Full House, like all my friends did). Although I forgot about Doctor Who for years following that, when the series was revived (ahem, regenerated) in 2005, I remembered pretty quickly how much I loved it. It is my favorite television show again.
  5. Himesh Reshammiya - Aashiq Banaya Aapne (Remix)
    Well, if I thought things went downhill once I reached adulthood, it was peanuts compared to what I would experience after graduating from college. This super-fun Hindi dance song was the last thing I downloaded before it all fell apart. It was, in essence, the last relic I had of happy times before I entered the worst and longest period of depression I've ever suffered.
  6. Murray Gold - Madame de Pompadour
    A coworker once heard me playing this song and commented, "That's the saddest song I've ever heard." And so it is. I like songs that can manipulate my emotions and reflect them when they're too deep for words, and this one does it better than any other. It also just happens to be from an episode of Doctor Who.
  7. Pain - Eleanor Rigby
    The Beatles wrote this song about "all the lonely people," but Pain turned it into an agonized industrial/goth/metal anthem. I love them for it. This song gave me an outlet for all the horrible feelings I felt during a horrible time. I'm sure it will have the opportunity to thus serve me again.
  8. Taio Cruz feat. Ludacris - Break Your Heart
    Now you might be thinking I just added this song because I don't really think there's any song as bomb as it, and this album needed more upbeat dance music, but in all honesty, I think I can say it pretty much sums up my life at present. I seem to be consumed with this quest to find love. And every chapter ends with someone's heart getting broken. Sometimes it's mine. I seem to have an extraordinary talent for falling in love with unavailable men (emotionally and otherwise), and men seem to have an extraordinary penchant for falling in love with me. Even though, as Taio says, I'm not easy to please. So whether I put myself in the place of the singer or the girl he's singing to, I always fit there!
  9. BONUS TRACK! Muse - Take a Bow
    No, this song has no relevance to my life. But I cannot believe I've never mentioned it in my blog! It needs to be here simply because of its unparalleled wonderfulness! (Maybe I'm just a little expansive because I just got finished listening to the best dance song of 2010, but still!) Listen to the synthy arpeggios! It's like The Neverending Story and the entire Tron Legacy soundtrack all packed into one rock song!

0 comments: