Friday, October 5, 2018

What can I say about my truck?

 
It's been over six months since I bought my pickup truck.

When I was shopping for it, I imagined the process would make a magnificent blog tale, much like my search for a phone, or my search for a house, or my search for a bike. I even promised, when I was still in shopping mode, that I'd tell all about my decision and purchase when it happened.

Well, it happened. And after it happened, I felt it would be bad luck to gloat about my success too soon, in case my victory blew up in my face.

Sure enough, things blew up. Not the engine, thankfully. The driver's side door became hopelessly jammed only a day after passing inspection, and the battery conked out the day I was about to take it to have the door fixed. I was able to eventually solve both of those problems mostly on my own, but by that point, I was so fatigued by truck ownership that I had nothing I wanted to say about it.

Only now, after months of relative reliability, do I feel it's safe to proclaim, "I have a truck now!"

I have to admit, I am proud of this accomplishment. I've always secretly desired to drive a pickup. My first car was a tiny Plymouth Neon with clouds on the roof and friendly messages on the hood—about as cutesy as you can get without inducing vomiting. I loved that car literally to death, but at the same time, I always fantasized about another form of car ownership—a form that would reflect the fiercely self-sufficient side of me that always remained hidden under my girly exterior. There was once a book I read (I don't remember which one), and one of the characters was a girl who proudly drove a pickup truck while all the other kids in her high school coveted sportscars and limos. This was a down-to-earth girl who did her own thing and didn't care what anyone else thought. I wanted to be that girl.

But dreams are dreams, and reality is reality, and a down-to-earth girl can admit that a Neon gets better gas mileage. Practical concerns always dictated that I keep the car I had, or take the one that was basically free (I speak of my second car, Korg).

But as time marched on, practical concerns shifted in their nature. Whereas in the past, my car had been driven almost daily, in recent years I've clocked almost no miles at all. I bike to work, I no longer go to school in another city, and my live-in boyfriend has a car of his own. No sense in both of us driving a compact SUV! When I drive somewhere these days, 80% of the time it's to pick up construction materials at Home Depot or free furniture from around the neighborhood, and my most practical concern is how to not get mud all over the interior while doing it. What better car for those needs than one where the exterior is the interior?

When the cost of repairing Korg rose to equal the cost of replacing him, I decided that my next car was going to be a pickup. Although I said I'd tell all about my decision and purchase of the truck, it's been so long since it happened that I don't really recall any of the most salient details. And besides, that's not the interesting part of this story. The interesting part is how proud I feel, still, after so many months of ownership, to step into my pickup truck and turn the ignition. I'm the girl who drives a pickup truck! I'm a strong American woman with a powerful American car!

They say Americans have a love affair with trucks, which makes me just an average American—somewhat diminishing the image I have of myself as the valiant nonconformist, out to thumb my nose at convention in my unapologetically utilitarian vehicle. But average or not, I haven't been this pleased about a car since I glued a plastic bunny rabbit to the front of Zoot's hood.

There's only one thing left to say about my truck, and that's its name. Like all the good vehicles that went before it, my truck has a solid, strong, one-syllable name, and like the good vehicle immediately preceding it, this truck is named after a synthesizer. Can you guess?




I'll give you a minute.






Here's a picture!



A picture of my truck named Moog.

0 comments: