Monday, January 13, 2020

Balder is Better

As a certified mammal, I find myself drawn to other creatures with lots of hair. The cuter and puffier, the better! Or so I thought, until I found myself the beleaguered mother of an extremely furry cocker-spaniel-hybrid (I don't know his pedigree, but while he has the general shape and temperament of a cocker spaniel, his hair is much wilder and more profuse than is generally shown in most portrayals of the breed).

When I became his sole caretaker last March, I was brushing him at least once a week (and trying to do it every day), cutting huge mats out of his fur every time. It's a wonder he had any fur left with all the mat removal I was doing, but somehow he did. Vast quantities of fur! Floppy, hairy ears that came dripping out of his water bowl every time he took a drink! Huge hairy feet that soaked up all the mud every time he went outside! And let's not forget how bad it got when he tried to play in the snow!


Bilbo was an outdoorsy dog in an indoorsy dog's body.

If the fur on his body and legs was a challenge, the fur on his head was a veritable disaster! His breed is susceptible to cherry eye, which is when the third eyelid becomes swollen and pops out, resulting in oozing and weeping. Bilbo's eyes oozed and wept continually onto his face, where the mess would congeal and adhere to all the long hairs in the vicinity. Another thing about his breed is long floppy ears. Supposedly they were bred that way so that when digging in the ground after burrowing game for their humans, the ears would keep dirt out of the dog's face. But combined with the ridiculously long hair, what the ears do instead is provide a sheltered breeding ground for earwax and bacteria. So gross. Cocker spaniels are also blessed with a "soft mouth," which in hunting terms means they have loose floppy lips that are less likely to damage the prey they catch. But in real-life terms, what it means is that they allow water and spit and food particles to leak out the sides of the dog's mouth...and thence, onto the aforementioned long hair.


Whoever invented cocker spaniels was surely a sadist. Messed-up eyes, ears, and mouth aside, what sort of hunting dog needs wooly legs that collect every twig, leaf, and bramble for miles around? Yet that's exactly what they gave them. Combine that genetic cesspit with the coat of a poodle (which is what some have surmised comprises the rest of Bilbo's ancestry), and you get even more hair that's even more curly! His forehead hair was so long that it covered his eyes, which surely contributed to his frequent collisions with vertical surfaces. Total breeding fail. 

I experimented with headbands to keep his hair out of  his eyes.
Not effective.

I made some token efforts to keep his coat under control. I bought an electric set of clippers (which he hated and which couldn't manage to cut through his fur without getting jammed) and finally settled for trimming his legs and face in clumpy patches with a pair of scissors whenever I could get him to sit still for 5 minutes. It was better than nothing, but truly not much good at all.

This entire hairy situation came to a head when Bilbo got fleas in August. Three flea baths, diligent grooming with a flea comb, and two treatments with Frontline did nothing to rid him of the suckers, and I was just about to tear out my own hair!

In late October, I finally called in the big guns: a professional groomer. I found her on Rover, she came to my house, and I let her do her magic. She shaved Bilbo down to the skin and gave him yet another flea bath, and when he came out the other side, he looked...surprisingly cute!


I admit I kind of miss his gargantuan hobbit feet, but his clean-shaven mien left a lot fewer places for boogers to attach to. And he's much more endearing now that you can actually see his facial expressions!

I instantly became a dog-grooming convert...but a cheap one. Professional grooming comes in at around $100 a pop. I won't even spend that much money to get my own hair cut; I'm definitely not going to spend it on a dog! So I took note of what brand of clippers the groomer used (Andis) and promptly bought my own. They paid for themselves after 2 DIY grooming sessions. Admittedly, my technique will never rival that of a professional groomer, but I'll settle for somewhat tidy-looking hair with no detritus in it.

After his most recent haircut by his mom
Everyone who sees Bilbo nowadays marvels at how much cuter he is with short fur. He's even more likable now that he's a bit more hygienic. All this time, I'd been thinking long-haired dogs were the best dogs, but Bilbo was really much improved by the loss of his locks. It's a good thing I didn't name him Samson!

1 comments:

Geoffrey S. Eighinger said...

OMG he looks so different!

I really liked the headband gimmick LOL.